Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Please start by telling the class your name......

I'll start off by explaining the title of this blog. Vibrant Light Of The Source is my name. For a few years I felt very apprehensive, perhaps self-conscious, of using or even mentioning the name Vibrant Light to refer to myself. I suppose most of it is the fear of coming off as arrogant. Also, it's a religious name and my religious views are not something I'm very open about.

The name Vibrant Light of the Source was given to me in November (I believe it was the 4th) of 2003 by my teacher when I was ordained in the 42nd generation of the Lam Te Dhyana school of Buddhism. The technical term is "receiving the precepts".

The precepts are basically:

1. Respect the life of all beings.
2. Be aware of the relationship between your possessions and the suffering of all beings.
3. Be aware of the relationship between your sexual conduct and the suffering of all beings.
4. Be aware of the relationship between your speech and the suffering of all beings.
5. Be aware of the relationship between your mental and physical consumption and the suffering of all beings.

For the first couple of years it didn't really mean much to me. But as time passed I came to identify with the name and the implications of each word as they related to my spiritual practice. Eventually it just made sense. I felt/feel like I have the potential to truly live up to the name.

"Hey what was the name of that friend of yours that was at the party the other day? I didn't catch his name. The white brown haired kid on the motorcycle."
"Oh, that's Vibrant Light of the Source."
"Vibrant Light of the Source huh? Yeah I can see that, he comes off like a Vibrant Light of the Source."

Not that I would ever use it in place of my familial name, Joey. I am of the strong belief that being Buddhist does not imply that you turn into a hippie that would do something like that.
"Oh, I'm not Joey anymore, I've received transmission of the enlightened teachings of the Buddha Shakyamuni. Please refer to me by my true name Vibrant Light Of The Source." That kind of crap annoys the shit out of me.
I'm Joey, but I'm also Vibrant Light Of The Source. I only mention it to give anyone that cares to know a little perspective as to why I do some of the things I do. Things that I'll be sharing by way of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment